Wallet cases are all the rage nowadays. I have reviewed a few, and loved every single one. They all bring something different to the table, but today, we’ll take a look at the Wally Stick-On from Distil Union, that uses a 3M Alternahesive to attach a wallet onto your iPhone or your favourite case.
For those who don’t like being cool, they’ve also got a Wally Wallet Case that provides protection and a discreet wallet solution. Lastly, for the poor souls who don’t own an iPhone, the Wally Jr. was made for you. A tiny square pocket in the shape of a credit card, it can hold up to 8 cards and be attached onto your iPad if you want.
Read on to figure out which one is best for you.
Tl;dr – if you own an iPhone, get the Wally Stick-On, it’ll work on your favourite case too
Made of genuine leather, the Wally Stick-On uses a 3M Alternahesive to attach onto your iPhone, which can be removed, cleaned, and reapplied later. The purpose of Wally is the card slot that has a little red tab you pull on to extract your cards that are concealed within. This way, you’re not sacrificing the security of your cards, while still being able to easily access them. There’s a cutout for the camera, otherwise, the Wally covers the whole back of your iPhone in a gorgeous brown or black leather.
I wouldn’t classify this as a case, but more of a skin. It’s almost like sticking on a sheet of leather skin onto the back of your iPhone, it’s that slim. Even with the 3 card maximum inside, it’ll add about half a centimetre at most to the width of the iPhone.
The Wally Stick-On is great for 3 things: reusability, adaptability, and functionality.
As mentioned above, the 3M Alternahesive allows you to attach it, peel it off, and re-attach it onto a case after. It’ll require a little cleaning in between sessions but if things get really bad with the adhesive (which it will, over time), you can order new adhesive and keep that natural look of the leather you worked so hard to create.
Most likely the selling point for me, the Wally will work on a bare iPhone, but also any case that fits the cut out. Take that in for a moment, because if you have a favourite case and want to add a wallet functionality to it, now you can, without permanently damaging it in any way. I’ve used it on the OtterBox Symmetry, which fits perfectly, as well as a thin plastic case.
The Wally has one purpose: to hold your cards. It’s not meant to replace your wallet, but it’ll minimize your daily bulk. You’ll have quick access to 2 or 3 of your most important cards, along with some cash.
- Slim — doesn’t add bulk to your iPhone while still being able to carry the important stuff with you
- Works on your iPhone 6 bare or with a case that has the right cutout
- Allows you to remove bulk from your daily carry
- Leather loosens up over time, which means you won’t be able to carry only 1 or 2 cards, and you’ll need to have at least 3 to prevent cards from slipping out
- The 3M Alternahesive can get dirty easily — although it’s easy to clean with some tape, it’s a hassle to constantly have to overtime as you reuse the Wally
The Wally Wallet Case is a hardshell snap case, made of a polycarbonate material. It keeps your iPhone 6 protected from daily usage, while the built-in Wally on the back allows you to store a few cards and cash discreetly.
This one is for the users who don’t have a case of their own but want a wallet functionality. It’s sleek and doesn’t flaunt itself as a wallet case, so no one will try and rob you of your valuables.
If you’re looking for an actual case with a wallet function built-in, the Wally Wallet Case provides security on all fronts. You’ve got a solid polycarbonate shell that’ll prevent scratches and protect you on short drops, while the discreetly built-in Wally covers your cards, but allows you quick access to them with a quick pull on the red tab.
- An all-in-one solution for those who don’t have another case in mind but want a wallet in a slim package
- Slim design that offers protection and a card slot to hold up to 4 cards
- Discreet design hides your cards to not look like a wallet case at all
- If you don’t have at least 2 or 3 cards in, once the leather stretches, cards will fall out easily
The Wally Jr is similar to the CardNinja I previously reviewed. The Wally Jr is meant to accommodate all device types of any size. The only, and major difference, is that it uses the 3M Alternahesive which makes it reusable on any other device.
It is made of a stretchy fabric material that can hold up to 8 cards, business cards, cash, or even earbuds and a charging cable. Like the other Wallys, it stands true to keeping your cards secure. It’s just tall enough to fit a standard credit card, which means, unlike the CardNinja, it’ll discreetly cover your cards and other valuables.
The Wally Jr is meant to accommodate most devices, being a small rectangular fabric pocket, it doesn’t take up much space, only what it needs to. It stretches to allow you to fit a lot of cards or even smaller things like your EarPods.
Like the other Wallys, it has a red tab that will let you reveal your cards once pulled, it’s that easy.
- A compact wallet solution that could easily replace your entire wallet, being able to hold up to 8 cards
- Small footprint, it’ll work on your iPhone, but is universal with many other devices with a flat surface
- Conceals your cards with a design just tall enough to fit a standard credit card
- Due to the elastic fabric, once you start putting more cards in, it’ll stay stretched to a certain point where you’ll have to have more than 3 or 4 cards in to keep everything secure
So we’ve looked at 3 Wallys, all serving a different purpose. If you’re curious as to which one you should get, Distil Union has a neat infographic to help you decide. For anyone that wants my opinion, here’s why you’d get either one:
- Have a favourite case you don’t want to give up
- Want to add a wallet function to your iPhone or case
- Want a wallet case that isn’t bulky
- Change your mind a lot
- Don’t have a case at the moment
- Want a protective case
- Want a wallet case
- Want an all-in-one solution
- Want a slim way to carry your cards
- Only carry 5-8 cards at any time and want a wallet replacement
- Have a device other than the iPhone (or the iPhone works too)
- Want to stay as minimal as possible
Distil Unions Wallys all have the same goal in mind: to discreetly carry your cards anywhere, but provide you with quick access with the pull of a tab. All the cases do that very well, it just comes down to how you use your device. My favourite? The Wally Stick-On on a bare iPhone 6. The leather is beautiful and being able to carry 3 cards with me is enough for day-to-day operations. Thanks to Distil Union for sending these out for a review and I’m glad to see a company that started on Kickstarter come so far – I look forward to future products and I hope they continue to stay innovative!
PS. they also sell actual wallets with the same design goal you can check out here